Monday, March 15, 2010

Drifting

I recently learned that The Drifting Classroom by Kazuo Umezu had, after a long time, finally been completely scanlated. I've wanted to read it for a long time. I was planning to buy the volumes, but they are hard to find, and I don't have a lot of money. If the series is really good and something I might reread, I still might buy the series.

Anyways, I just finished the first volume, and an idea struck me. In the series, a school is suddenly and without explanation transported to a barren place surrounded on all sides by a wasteland. There is seemingly no escape and no way to acquire resources. As I was reading, I thought, "I'd probably just kill myself, so I wouldn't suffer. There'd be no point in living such a life anyways." Suicide would make sense, as at first glance, everyone would eventually die, of starvation if nothing else. Also, even if food was available, what kind of life would that be? Living in a small area, with no way to go beyond it, and nothing to do. Wouldn't everything be meaningless?

Then, it struck me. I'd want to live, just to see what happened. The odds would be very small, but maybe the reason for the transportation would manifest and make itself known to everyone involved. I would want to see that, get an explanation of everything. The desire to know, that's part of what makes people afraid of death, myself included. We want to know how our children act, if they are okay. We want to know if the world gets better, if we put men on Mars. And we want to know what the purpose of life is, and what there is after. Turn that desire to know into a story, that's something I could do without much trouble, because I want to know so much. I always want to get to the bottom of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment